Thursday, October 13, 2011

Elmer's Glue Crackle Paint Project


So, if you ask my friend Meg, I've had a huge desire to build something lately. I want to saw, paint, stain, hammer....something!  Meg, by the way, is currently building her family a new dining room table. Yeah, she's awesome. 
So while Meg and I are in the works for WHAT I can create....I stumbled upon THIS tutorial and decided to try it out. 

I had purchased this little box a while ago at a thrift store for something like $2.  I painted it black.  And that's where the story ends.  So I decided to give it a little facelift. 
This is the bottom of the box (why paint it right?), just a light wood color. 

Here it is solid black:

Then I covered it (using my finger) with Elmer's glue.  

I let the glue dry a couple minutes, and then painted it with light brush strokes in a cool turquoise color.  I was careful to go all in one direction and not go over it again once it had been painted. 

Lastly, I broke out my blow dryer and blasted it (because I'm impatient like that) on low and this is how it turned out:


My final plan is to fill it with simple white flowers. Something similar to a hydrangea.  But when I went to get some they were $7 for one stem! Really Michaels?!  Wish me luck on finding a deal. 
I want to put this box on my dining room table, or possibly on a cool shelf in a bathroom.  
I really like this look:

Alright. There you go.  A cheap and easy project, let me know if you try it out too!

2 comments:

bsa said...

dude! Awesome.

Unknown said...

What kind of paint did you use to go over the glue? Chalk paint or regular paint?